Wednesday, April 18, 2012

over-install?

Greetings,

i installed a German d2 version - I would now prefer the English one and for that reason downloaded d2 and lod from Blizzard's servers - question: do I have to de-install the German version first and make a new-install thereby losing my characters - or is there a way around this?

(the reason for me not merely modifying the description-language, which matters to me, is that the way to go about it as described in various forums seems prohibited by Blizzard, and as I don't want to risk BANISHMENT - handling the English version seems to be the only way.)

Thank you,

pd|||Am I correct in assuming you are playing Single Player rather than on the realms? I ask because, if you are playing on the realms all your characters are stored serverside, and I don't see how they would be affected by your new language install.

Edit: If you are playing Single Player, you can just save your characters somewhere other than your save file. I would create a new folder, labelled DiiBackup or something like that, and copy and paste the d2.s files from my save folder into the new one. Then I could completely uninstall and reinstall the game, and copy and paste the characters from the DiiBackup folder into my new save folder, immediately deleting the DiiBackup versions to avoid dupes.

Oh, and welcome to our forums!|||Quote:








(the reason for me not merely modifying the description-language, which matters to me, is that the way to go about it as described in various forums seems prohibited by Blizzard, and as I don't want to risk BANISHMENT - handling the English version seems to be the only way.)




I never heard of that. You are probably talking about replacing some game file with a hacked version (which could lead to problems indeed), but that's not necessary. All you have to do is making a directory with a file that has a "0" character in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment