Saturday, April 21, 2012

Next Step in Wealth

Well, after one month of being back from D2 after a very long hiatus, I'm not dirt poor anymore. I started raw with a sorc/fishymancer, did a lot of MFing and some SWEET trades (eth CV insight for Last Wish anyone?), and now I'm running around with pretty good hammerdin (enigma, hoto, hoz, etc.).

My question is what is the next step to generating more wealth. I got pretty lucky with my sorc/necro, and that LW trade was my big break, but I wonder what i do now. Do I keep running bossse? Level 85 areas? My current run with my Hdin are pindle, shenk, eldritch, thresh socket, and trav. Then I add in Diablo, Andy, Meph, or Baal or something of them when I feel like it. Or do I try stuff like key running, gambling, uber tristing, rolling charms?

I haven't been finding too much great stuff in my runs, so I wonder if I have better options of MFing then running this stuff.|||CV Insight for LW? Are you on non-ladder? In that case, go for gems and crafting stuff, except you have let's say 100 HRs of wealth. Everything else has been found hundreds of thousands of times and you can probably buy everything for that, except for 1 in 10 million items.|||Nope ladder...lol. Crazy right?|||I usually do Tunnels+Pindle+Eldritch or Meph+Andy with my sorc, but I guess that Chaos Sanc+WSK+Baal with a hammerdin is pretty good as well.

Ladder is full of bots, at least in Europe, so you should not forget to pick up flawless gems and crafting stuff, as said, but I wouldn't give up visiting high-level areas for that. As it's ladder, also collect runes for Spirit, including Hel runes.

Keysets also profitable as well, I get them with a cold+lightning sorc. Another option is selling unid torches which you get with a fana-zealot (aka 1 point smiter). Either use your self-found keys or buy the keys and sell the torches (last time I checked, keyset=Ist, unid torch=2 Ist in Europe).|||Following Baal bot runs, and picking up the enormous amount of gems runes and sockets/socketable whites, has gotta be one of the few benefits of the plague of botting... other than the experience gained from the runs of course.

Many of those dirty botters run pickit scripts, but often the bot gets full, or they only set them to take the best of the best uniques. I can't count how many sweet Monarchs, 4os elite armors, Archon Plates, ethereal elite Polearms, etc I have picked up while in Baal runs. The best time is midday during the week if you have a day off work - not many people will be on Bnet and if you follow a Baal bot you will have access to just about all the drops.|||What about pindle vs. nith runs? right now I just go do pindle, then go through all three halls to nith. what if I instead took the WP and just did nith runs, no more pindle?

I could get more key of destructions this way I guess, but is losing out on pindle worth it?|||Following Baal bots sounds even more boring than MF can be. The next step would be paying children to MF for you, in return for sweets and pocket change

BTW, bot loot isn't allowed to be traded here, even their leftovers.|||Keep in mind Krischan... me, you, or anyone else doesn't actually have proof that they are in fact botting. We are just assuming.

I have in fact, followed Baal runs where everyone in the run assumed it was a Bot that had created the game, and made some funny quips about it... and then the 'bot' started having a conversation with us and made us all look dumb.

So unless you have some tool/measurement device that would allow players to actually determine if the bnet game they joined was created by someone sitting in their computer chair or not, then you cannot expect us to have knowledge either way. An assumption is not knowledge, and since I've been proven wrong in the past about who I assumed was running a bot, I think it's a little unfair of you to expect us to find out for sure in some way and then not trade items that we find laying on the ground unused.

Where does it end? What about a player we think may bot, but only does it every other day, do we separate out the drops from those days where he suddenly starts typing responses to us and shames us by proving he was there all along but just quietly types "TP up" and "Safe" for most of the runs to save effort? What about times a player joins a game to find it already emptied of others, but he decides to comb thru the WSK levels because he is seeking socketables from a certain treasure class? Is he somehow suppose to determine who originally created the game, and whether that person was actually at the computer or running some script?

Don't get me wrong, I understand how you and ALL of the mods feel about cheating, and I agree 100%. If we could push a button tomorrow and erase all botting and duping forever, none of us would even hesitate. But there is a line that is crossed if you on the one hand say "You cannot personally run a bot, and then trade those items here. If you do and we find out, we will ban you", and on the other hand make some vague implication that we have to make assumptions and attempt to determine based on things that are typed and player actions, just who is botting and then make sure not to pick up any of the items just laying on the ground of that entire Baal run game.

I normally feel confident in assuming when a Baal run appears to be some mindless bot, but I have personally witnessed being wrong in the past, so I will always have a reasonable doubt that I could be wrong again even if they seem to be just a little too efficient in their WSK running.

Making claims to knowledge can be a dangerous thing Krisch.|||Quote:








Keep in mind Krischan... me, you, or anyone else doesn't actually have proof that they are in fact botting. We are just assuming.




I didn't assume anything and my posting wasn't directed at anybody in particular, I just mentioned the rules. Also, I'm not going to justify why I'm applying the rules in a certain manner, I'm simply doing it and I act as I see fit and not necessarily in concordance with "in dubio pro reo" or whatever. I'm doing the best to be fair, but I'm not going to give anybody what he believes to be constitutional rights etc. If I have evidence, I might not show them to you. It's enough that I know. Mod decisions aren't made like in a courtroom and forums aren't a constitutional state.

If you think you are following a bot and pick up the loot they produce, then don't offer it here. Of course, if you don't tell anybody, nobody will notice, but if you tell it, then the rules about trading botted items will be applied. I'm rather reluctant with banning botters BTW, things like long trade lists, screenshots of characters who always tell the same and don't react to whispers etc. aren't enough of a proof for me.|||Of course, I hope you don't think I am asking you personally what to decide/determine, I was just mentioning that it's a little insane to expect to hold all of us players responsible for trying to determine what another player is doing.

You mentioned "If you think you are following a bot". I honestly don't know... we all have a tendency to just call them baal bot runs while mentioning them on bnet, but in fact if I personally decided to help a friend do some leveling and tell him "I will name the games Baal-01 and so forth", and I tele the WSK maps and quickly utter "TP Up" - then guess what. I am now doing every single action that goes on in 99% of bnet pub games, and people could accuse me w/o proof of anything. They would only feel some relief if I actually stopped "working" on the run for a sec, and talked to my friend for a bit. I know personally I would feel mad if someone accused me of botting while I hosted a Baal run.

I for sure just won't refer to any Baal runs as being botted, because although I am quite sure that some players do it, I don't have proof and as stated before have been proven dead wrong right in the middle of a game. If I feel for sure it's a bot (sometimes they do dumb stuff like script "this bot chickens on Lister blah blah"), then I will leave the run and make sure I tossed any items I grabbed.

I agree with these forums and the mods, on wanting to keep the trade pool clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment